Friday, June 13, 2008

Very Superstitious

Are you superstitious?
It's a tough question.

I would say no, but I believe that some 'omens,' call them indications if you want, can get the better of our ability to maintain a positive outlook and a sense that we're in control of things.

It's Friday the 13th ... and I have my second triathlon tomorrow.

On the day before my last race, the wind broke my mirror. My roommates mirror has since been similarly smashed -- she also puts the blame and the seven years of bad luck squarely on the shoulders of the wind. And who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I ...
Sorry, Couldn't help it.

But somehow we feel like we have to appease the bad forces that might trip up a race, and because i love lyrics and Stevie Wonder:

Very superstitious, writing's on the wall,
Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall,
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past.

1 comment:

speedy123 said...

To finish the quote (approximately), "If you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer, superstition ain't the way, hey hey hey."Stevie understood that superstition is a tool of oppression that keeps the poor, simpleminded and ignorant down and prevents them from questioning the state they are in.